This Old House general contractor Tom Silva installs an undetectable wood patch in an old door. (See below for a shopping list and tools.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
How to Repair a Split Door Jamb: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=o1j_V...
How to Install a Storm Door: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=HvD4t...
How to Install a Fiberglass Entry Door: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=TYq-N...
- 3/4-inch medium-density fiberboard (MDF), used to make routing template
- 1/2-inch pine board, for making Dutchman patch
- carpenter's glue
Tools List for Patching a Doorknob Hole With a Dutchman
- try square
- plunge router fitted with upward-spiral bit and guide bushing, used to rout recess in door for new wood patch
- hammer and 3/4-inch wood chisel, for squaring up routed corners
- miter saw
- hand plane, for planing the Dutchman patch
- random-orbit sander
Follow This Old House: