This original Mid Century Modern lamp design was my entry in the 1 Bag Wonder challenge, sponsored by Quikrete. I came in as the second place winner!
I consider this to be within the "Modern" style because that is where I took my design cues from. I especially like the work of American furniture designers and furniture manufacturers that influenced the design world in the 1950's and early 1960's. A few of my favorites are Charles and Rae Eames, and George Nelson. Also companies like Herman Miller and Heywood Wakefield. I will admit that I have a real passion for lamp design!
I know some people have the opinion that CNC machining is not "real" woodworking. If you have a similar opinion, please take a close look at this project. I designed this specifically for CNC. Although not impossible, the organic shapes may have been difficult to produce with other types of woodworking tools. Note: I do not consider this to be a DIY project.
I originally had planned to incorporate a USB charging port within the lamp base, but timing was tight so I had to skip that phone charging feature.
My CAD application of choice is Rhino. My CAM app is RhinoCAM by Mecsoft. My other tools are a mixture of brands.
Please see my affiliate links below:
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2jyEmCS
My favorite products used in this build project:
• Quikrete Concrete - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7ur0/
• Pink Foam Insulation - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7ur2/
• Finishing oil - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7ur8/
• Wood Screws - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wy9/
• Cedar Boards - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wy6/
• Bamboo Skewers - http://amzn.to/2iOeAuA
• Paper for Lamp Shade - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wyx/
• Porcelain Lamp Socket - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wyc/
• Lamp Cord - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wyf/
• Lamp Cord Switch - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wyh/
Some of the tools used in this project:
• Utility Cutter - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7wzc/
• Utility Knife - http://amzn.to/2zdhBLq
• Cutting Mat - http://amzn.to/2iDZFDi
• Paper Cutter - http://amzn.to/2Bl2zVi
• Pliers - http://amzn.to/2jedLL4
• Mechanical Pencil - http://amzn.to/2BcxZgx
• Graph Paper - http://amzn.to/2iFVEOF
• Files - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7urb/
• Trowel - http://go.magik.ly/ml/7ur4/
Camera and Video Gear:
• Main Camera - http://amzn.to/2iGbWqP
• Main Lens - http://amzn.to/2zbMboA
• Camera Frame - http://amzn.to/2mRPzmX
• Secondary Camera - http://amzn.to/2Bav3B7
• Tripod - http://amzn.to/2hLnRTu
• Lighting Setup - http://amzn.to/2hJioMT
• Magic Arm A - http://amzn.to/2hKvSIq
• Magic Arm B - http://amzn.to/2Bd3NC3
• Video Monitor - http://amzn.to/2zWoJ1T
• Mic - http://amzn.to/2iEucAY
You can see the other challenge entries on the Quikrete site: https://www.quikrete.com/one-bag-wond...
My CNC machine is from: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/
Please follow on: https://www.instagram.com/worksbysolo/
Please follow on: https://twitter.com/WorksBySolo